• I should explain – it appears that Keoki pulled the cover of Gypsy's bed -- if you look in his pen, it's brown-striped and blue -- into his pen somehow off of the stuffing, most of which remained outside the pen. ??? This was a large pillow, intact, and he managed to pull the cover off around the stuffing.
    When I cleaned it up, it completely stuffed a 39 gallon trash bag. LOL

{I know Gypsy didn't tear it up as 1} she has never torn bedding, and 2} when we got home she wasn't even in the room anymore. She tends to wander out rather than stay in the room w/the others, esp. when Keoki is having fits. She's too old to tolerate his screaming and whining and will simply walk away }

• <

• @Quercus:

Well…it isn't to much to ask of a 9 mo old puppy that isn't crate phobic. It doesn't really matter how much stuff you put in to entertain him (he isn't bored); or if the other dogs are near him or not (he isn't lonely). He is angry, or maybe freaked out, or terrifed to be in his crate. Judging by how you said he responded to being ignored (didn't bother him too much), I doubt he is even freaked out about the family leaving...he is freaked out by being closed in a crate. And that IS pretty common with Basenjis.
    QUOTE]

I guess I thought the fact that he is now in a 6x2' wire pen would have helped with the crate-phobia.
    He ran right in, and didn't seem to mind while I was putting the clips on to close it all up. I didn't hear any fussing while I was getting my shoes on to leave the house, etc., which we used to hear quite loudly.

And he's been sleeping in the pen pretty well -- he's only fussed a few minutes one night. The other four nights have been peaceful.

Oh well, live and learn!:rolleyes:

• Well…that all sounds like improvement 🙂 Maybe he didn't shred because he was freaked out...but because it is what he enjoys doing most 😉

It really is like a big experiment with dogs like this. You kind of find what works, and what you can tolerate to live with 🙂

• A woman on another list used one a couple of years ago and thought it helped with thunderstorms. I believe she simply used an ACE wrap, not too snug, around the torso and shoulders.
    I am fortunate that none of mine have anxiety issues, as we live in "the thunderstorm capitol of America".

Anne in Tampa

Suggested Topics